This week’s advancements in the field of gruedorfery mainly lie in the iPhone side of things for me. Rusty and I creep ever closer to the end goal of shipping an iPhone game. We’re working, if it’s not clear, upon a sokoban clone to start with, and will progress to add features to our engine with progressively more complex games.
Of course, this may all be in vain if a verge 3 port to the iPhone comes out. Not that I’m one to start rumors…
Gruedorf turns one, starts teething.
This marks the first anniversary of my first gruedorf post, when a humble Grue and a pompous Dorf first shut up, threw down, then started swaking again.
It amuses me to see that since it’s inception, twenty competitors have joined our unwinnable contest. As of this writing, 6 are in a state of “not losing”, 10 are in a state of “losing”, and 4 have defunct sites. All in all, the contest is serving some of it’s purpose, keeping some chatter and activity constantly going, but I’d like to see it grow in the next year.
What is Gruedorf again?
Gruedorf is a simple contest between myself (McGrue) and Kildorf designed to promote activity in the amateur game creation community over at www.verge-rpg.com.
There are but two rules:
- If you do an hour of work on a game and post to an RSS-enabled blog about it, you are not-losing.
- If you fail to do work and post about it, you are losing.
It is important to note that nobody can win Gruedorf. It sure is nice when you ship a game, but doing so doesn’t free you from the eternal geas of a minimum of one hour per week. After all, we are people who profess to enjoying development.
So what got done this year?
I’ve lost a few times, but kept up a whole bunch of progress.
- Made progress on my game project that’s older than Duke Nuke’m Forever…
- Made significant progress towards finishing The Sully Chronicles, including finishing the implementation of the Battle System to a testable form.
- Made improvements to verge 3 on an engine level.
- Started work on a new verge community site, fully test-driving the process.
- Worked on and am shipping an iPhone game, using work done solely on weekends.
- Created a spike of a web2.0 sprite editor over a weekend
And that’s about it. Moving forward I’ll be focusing on Sully, http://beta.verge-rpg.com, and v3 for a bit. Whee.
Oh, and new site.
As a gift to y’alls, I ditched my old cakePHP spike of a blog and ported everything over to wordpress. I couldn’t justify working on the egometry source to do things that other packages did better. Leveraging other people’s work sometimes takes priority over having fun hand-rolling it, especially when you have limited free time.
So, yeah. You all can now comment on my blog finally. Whee.